Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October 2011 - Catching Up



Well it has been a very long time since I have updated my blog and I do apologize.  It’s been a pretty busy summer and I was hoping to share good news but since we never got it I suppose I should just write a post.     ;-)  First for the news – Nick was finally able to get his OCS packet submitted for the July Board.  We were pretty excited because the January board (that he SHOULD have been part of…) was a 90% selection rate and from what I read last year there were still plenty of slots.  He was a strong candidate and should have no problem.  Then the news started trickling out after the big board the end of July.  They did a major cutback on Officer Slots.  Not the news we were hoping for.  They announced they should have the results out the beginning of September and they never came.  They gave some very vague reasoning that everyone on the forums pretty much decided were that they had the list ready to go however they were told they would have to re-do it and cut even MORE slots.  We were definitely starting to feel less confident as I’m sure many other applicants were.  They finally came out with the results and only 30% of the applicants were selected.  VERY low.  Unfortunately, Nick did not get selected.  He was in very good company from what we've seen on the forum and I feel that the Army really lost some quality individuals due to the cut-backs.  We have no control over that but of course we were a little angry and very disappointed but what can we do.  Drive on as they say.  Pretty much we have two choices as to where we go from here.  We found out that Nick’s current career field (MOS) is over strength and he cannot re-enlist where he is at.  So that has narrowed our options even further.  He either gets out of the Army and goes back to civilian life or he will have to re-class to a different MOS and either he enjoys that and stays enlisted or tries for OCS again (he has to wait 1 year from July to re-apply…of course they haven’t even put out WHEN the next board will be so ???).  We’re looking at a few options right now and hopefully in the next few months we’ll make a decision as to which road we’ll take.  I’d really like that road to take us OUT of the desert though.  LOL  It’s supposed to be my favorite season of the year (Autumn) and it is SO not Autumn here.  LOL

Since I haven’t written anything since the beginning of May I’ll try to make a quick re-cap of each month along with pictures and try to get caught up and not get this behind again.  ;-)

May
I honestly just don’t remember much about May!  LOL  Isn’t that horrible.  That’s what I get for taking forever to update.   Click the link for a few pictures from May though: May Photos

June



June was a semi-busy month.  Nick had to go to the Field for 6 weeks.  It was our first “Field” experience and I can’t say that we enjoyed it.  Unfortunately we’re gearing up for another one and I pretty much hate it.  LOL  There is no communication while he’s out there and I’ve decided that is one of the hardest parts.  He’s my husband, my best friend, my person.  I miss talking to him about our days, sharing things the kids did, being able to contact him if I have a question or a problem.  He was able to come home a few weekends and we of course took advantage of that time for grocery shopping, BBQ’s, and family time.  From what it sounds like he’ll be in the field a lot with this unit from now on.  We celebrated my 37th birthday (yes I’m old and I’m getting way too close to 40 LOL) and Nick’s 29th birthday (uh oh – almost 30!!  LOL).  My sister, Tracy, was able to come visit for 2 weeks and it was so wonderful to spend time with her.  Click the link for pictures from June through September:  June-September

July
Nick and some buddies on the 4th of July

Me and my sister, Tracy




Nick got a 4 day weekend over 4th of July (YAY!) and then he finished out his 6 weeks in the Field.  My sister left shortly before Nick got home so it was nice to have company and of course help with the grocery shopping! LOL.  Anyone who really knows me knows that I will do just about anything to avoid taking all 3 kids by myself to the grocery store.  I will take them for quick runs if I absolutely need to but the potty training aspect has put a whole new spin on things.  Trying to fit 3 kids (and usually a double stroller) into a bathroom let alone a bathroom stall is NUTS!  SO pretty much whenever Nick leaves I plan out grocery shopping.  LOL  I do have 1 drive-through grocery store that has the basics so I can go there for the little stuff in between big shopping trips.  About half way through July Nick came home and it was back to somewhat “normal” for 2 weeks.  LOL  The 2nd to the last week of July we had two big things happen.  Number 1 – Ryder went off all bottles completely.  I did a 2 month weaning process (he’d been off bottles since a year except for naps and bedtime).  It worked great and by the time we finished he didn’t even miss them.  The 2nd HUGE thing was the twins moved to Toddler Beds.  They both started climbing out of their cribs and it was beginning to become a safety issue.  Let the chaos begin….  The end of July we loaded up the van and headed up to Omaha for our first trip home since we moved here.

August

Celebrating 8 years together

Me and my oldest, Nate
Train ride at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha

We spent the first week of August in Omaha visiting family and friends.  It was so nice to see everyone and we loved seeing our children get to know everyone.  We also got Ryder baptized.  J  We celebrated our 8th Anniversary of being together J and my wonderful, amazing, fantastic friend Traci watched the kids for us so we could go out on a date!!  We stopped through Arlington, TX on the way home to see my oldest son, Nathan, and my sister, Angelina, and her family.  Nate moved down there and is currently working as a Vet Tech at Banfield Pet Hospital with my sister.  He also got his first apartment right after we left and I was able to check it out.  J  We finished out Nick’s leave by getting some much needed R&R at home before he headed back to work.  The last week of August he was off again…  Here's some pictures of Summer Vacation (click link)

September
Ryder getting ready for his first haircut





SO Nick left for a TDY to Fort Leonard Wood, MO the end of August and got back the end of September.  As always, he did great in his class.  J  I’m very proud of him.  The night before he left I started getting a cough and chest congestion (I’d had a little stuffy nose for a week or so before that but nothing bad).  He left at like 4am the next day and I woke up and had no voice, completely congested, and a horrible cough.  GREAT.  LOL  So par for the course whenever he leaves.  Someone (usually me) either gets sick or hurt.  Makes it even easier to care for 3 toddlers on my own.  ;-)  My mom was scheduled to come visit about 2 ½ weeks into the TDY to visit of course and also give me a chance to get groceries for the rest of the TDY (see I completely schedule grocery shopping LOL).  It ended up being a great thing she came when she did because it was starting to get hard to breathe.  Not like I couldn’t get breath but that my chest was rattling, wheezing, hard to take deep breaths, and I ran out of breathe very quickly.  I got an appointment right after Mom got here and found out I had sinusitis, bronchitis, and very close to bacterial pneumonia.  FUN.  He said it was good I got in when I did and I left with a heavy duty antibiotic, antihistamine, Nasonex, and an inhaler.  I was starting to finally feel better towards the latter half of the meds FINALLY!  Seriously after a month of this I had HAD it.  Nick got home the day after I took my last dose of antibiotics and I thought I was feeling better.  Unfortunately I think it’s coming back pretty quick.  I have an appointment this Saturday to see what’s going on and get more meds.  SO anyway  J  the kids and I did pretty good while Nick was gone except for missing him of course.  We were able to talk on the phone, text, email, and Skype and honestly it was almost easier than the Field.  Missed him on the weekends but at least I got to talk to him every day.  LOL  Anyway – Walker and Jocelyn have started doing much better with their Toddler beds.  They actually stay in their beds and usually go right to sleep.  THANK GOD!  I thought it would never happen and I really need naptime and bedtime.  NEED!  LOL  They also started having ZERO mini-accidents with the pottying.  Unfortunately that’s started again for some reason.  Hoping it goes away quickly!  Ryder is doing fantastic.  Growing up SO fast!  Nick got home the end of September and it has been SO wonderful to have our family together again.  We’re making the most of our time together before he leaves for the Field again.  The day Nick got home he took one look at the boys and decided it was haircut time!!  They really really needed it.  This was Ryder’s FIRST hair cut and I was so proud of him!  He sat up on the chair like a big boy and Nick shaved him up.  He looks SO different and definitely grown up.  Absolutely adorable!  He loves it and I can’t get over how much the boys look alike now.  Here’s some pictures of his haircut and the kids the end of September:  September Haircuts (Click link)

October



Ryder turned 18 months old on the 3rd!  I can’t believe he’s half way to 2 already!  We haven’t gotten through much of October yet so I don’t have too much to write about BUT I am making a promise to myself to try and update at the end of every month so I actually remember what the kids are doing.  LOL  This was just a quick catch up.  ;-)  The rest of the month will be busy.  I have a DR’s appointment on Saturday to try to get rid of this horrible bronchitis/sinus infection/pneumonia crap (oh and I coughed so hard a few days ago that I at least bruised my ribs and they hurt worse every day so YAY…doing great LOL).  I have been pretty sick for over a month now and I’m just quite done with feeling like crap.  SO they better fix me this time.  LOL  The kids all got weighed and measured on Monday.   Walker is 31.2 lbs & 37 in, Jocelyn is 29.4 lbs & 35 in, and Ryder is 26.4 lbs and 33 1/4 in. Growing just great!  Let’s see…the 15th is our 6th Wedding Anniversary!  J  One of our wonderful, amazing, fantastic friends down here is going to stay with the kids so that we can go have a romantic (QUIET!) dinner.  I told Nick that I just want to sit down and have a nice dinner – with food that is warm when it should be warm and cold when it should be cold – and just relax.  It’s been a long time since I’ve done that.  LOL  We’re very much looking forward to it.  J  Hoping to make a nice family brunch the next morning and then pack Nick for the Field.  He leaves the next day.  L  He is supposed to be home in time for Thanksgiving and as of right now it looks like he’ll be home most weekends.  Crossing my fingers!!  THEN right after Thanksgiving Walker and Jocelyn will be 3 years old!  WOW!  I’ll post the end of October with Halloween costumes and all that good stuff.  Walker is going to be Superman.  Jocelyn will be Supergirl.  Ryder is a Fireman.  J  We don’t think Nick will be home to trick or treat with us so we’ll probably just do our block and come home but I’ll try to take lots of pictures.  J  Hope you all are doing fantastic and I know this was just a super quick update and I’ll try to do better now!  J  Here’s a few pictures from this month:  October 2011 (Click link)

No comments: