Well yesterday was the much anticipated Nuchal Translucency Scan. We were mostly excited because it was one more ultrasound that Nick would get to see (and really his last unless we get a late pregnancy one for some reason). We got to see the baby and it was still as active as ever!! Just all over the place. What a wonderful sight to see. One neat thing is I've been pretty sure that I've been able to feel it moving already. It started about a week ago here and there and has gotten more regular and stronger. The ultrasound today confirmed it. :-) We also found out I may be further along than the first DR thought....hmm. One measurement was 14 weeks 3 days (I'm 12 weeks 3 days today according to the last 2 ultrasounds). She averaged it out to 13 weeks and 6 days which is what they went with. That put me at the VERY last day that they could even do the Nuchal scan. So now I'm totally confused as to how far along I really am. They decided in the end not to change my due date but it does sound like they're going to go with the 13 weeks 6 days for their office. She said the baby may just be a big baby but almost a 2 week difference seems pretty big. Who knows! LOL Hopefully it will stay put until we can move and get settled in.
We saw it's wonderful little body, perfect little spine. It was just beautiful. Because it was so active the ultrasound tech had a hard time getting a good measurement but she got a few and the Perinatologist ok'd these pictures and measurements. He came in to talk to us about the results. Here's where the fun part started to not get so fun. Our baby's nuchal fold measured 2.6 and he wanted to see under 2.5. It doesn't sound like he's concerned about Downs Syndrome. From what I've researched that becomes more of a possibility if it's over 3. He is going to be keeping a close eye on us to watch for heart defects though. He said research has shown that a nuchal fold of 2.5 and above gives a higher risk for a heart problem. Definitely not what I wanted to hear. He said I should get my blood results back on Monday and he'll call me with my risk factor with all of that combined. One good thing in my favor is that I'll still be 35 when the baby is born. He said that helps. Basically he said that IF the bloodwork comes back positive combined with the 2.6 number my risk is still only 3% chance of anything being "wrong". They do a second test I think in 4 weeks and if that comes back positive than it's like 1/3 chance. Something like that. When you hear there may be a problem with your baby's heart it's hard to remember all the details. Anyway, because of the possibility of the heart problem I will now be going to the Perinatologist for ultrasounds until we rule anything out. I go back on October 30th (which according to them I'll be 18 weeks). He'll be able to check the heart better at that point. HOPEFULLY everything will be just fine. I know this is a risk factor thing - not a definite thing and there are many babies out there (from my research) that had measurements of 3.5 and are perfectly normal. SO I'm in great hopes that all is well and I'll just be able to enjoy a couple more ultrasounds to see my little munchkin growing. Knowing all this doesn't really stop me from worrying but I do know we are in a good area to be if the baby should need any surgeries for it's heart. We'll see where we end up getting stationed and IF there is a problem I may end up staying here to have the baby if the duty station does not have a good NICU nearby. We have one of the best hospitals in the region for babies and children so I do feel better about that.
For now, I am going to try and get past worrying and just enjoy feeling my little baby moving around. I'm going to enjoy my last week or so with my husband and have fun with my kiddos. They definitely keep me busy! We only got one ultrasound picture this time around and it's a face shot which I'm sure she thought we'd love. Which we do. LOL But I really like the profile pictures because they look more baby like than alien. LOL In any case we'll treasure this one till our next ultrasound. Oh and if you're interested I found an article on the Nuchal measurement and heart problems. Maybe it will make more sense to someone other than me. LOL Here is the LINK. All in all I'd like to go back to the "boring" Doctor appointments and I want to beat myself for ever saying that!!! Enjoy the picture and please put our baby in your prayers that all is well. Thanks!!
1 comment:
Hi Lisa - With my twins, baby A (Parker)had a nuchal fold measurement of 2.9. The Dr was initially a little concerned, but after the blood work came back, the risk factor was 85% change nothing was wrong. He was born healthy as an OX, absolutely perfect. I would not worry.
Tina
Post a Comment