As my IVF approaches I find myself worried (once again) about the water torture of embryo transfer. I don't know why I am so freaked out about this but I really have issues with my bladder and holding a lot of water. Last time I was in tears. I drank 32 oz before I got there and the nurse said it wasn't enough and scared me into drinking more. I drank 50-60 oz of water before the actual transfer. I was hopping around the room, head spinning (light-headed), crying, about ready to pee all over the floor. When I finally hopped up on the transfer table my RE said my bladder was "perfect". REALLY??? I didn't enjoy the transfer. I didn't get to look at the miracle of my embryos going into my uterus on the ultrasound screen - all I could do was try to be brave and not pee all over my doctors hand! Finally after what seemed like forever (for the embryologist to make sure no embies were stuck to the tube and they were all snuggled in their new home) my RE put a catheter in me to empty my bladder. I was so relieved. Embarrassed beyond belief but relieved. It didn't last long. By the time I got back to my room for my hour of head down butt up on the bed, I had to pee again before I got into bed. I got up 3 times during that hour and the rest of the day I was up and down ALL day peeing! I am terrified of going through that again. SO I decided to do a little "study" this morning. I drank my 32 oz of water (that I thought would be more than enough last time) at 7:30am. I finished drinking it at 8:20am. By 9:00 I was VERY uncomfortable. Starting to do pee pee dance. I finally just decided to go because why torture myself completely today. I peed for 2 minutes straight. That HAS to mean my bladder was full right?? I understand the importance of a full bladder but last time I think it was way over. ANYWAY so I'm going to talk to one of my RE's nurses and tell her about my experience and "study" and see if they think 32 oz is plenty (since that stupid nurse at the hospital was shocked that was all I had drank). I'm looking for other people's experiences, perspective, etc.... I'll put another poll up if this lets me. Otherwise add a comment. How much do you think is ok to drink? Full bladder is important to:
1. Provide clear picture of uterus.
2. Push down on the uterus and cervix to assist in a smooth transfer and avoid disrupting the uterine lining with the catheter the embryos are in.
Thanks in advance!!!
1 comment:
I think everyone is different and requires a different amount of water to open up that uterus for them to do the ET. I remember I drank 1 24oz bottle of water before my 1st check the day of my transfer, and she asked me to empty my bladder a bit. I was shocked...I thought I hadn't drank enough. I guess it just depends on how your uterus is situated.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Post a Comment